Tuesday 6 December 2011

Enjoying A Topic

I am currently planning for my post-Christmas placement. [My STCC wants to see examples of our planning by Thursday and said we should have it all done by Christmas.] I did some brief 'weekly' style plans for my science topic, but now I am getting into the nitty-gritty of my literacy unit. I will be teaching stories from other cultures - the other culture being India [my choice]. :)

I've selected a novel to read and work on, along with a selection of folk stories. I have some general writing, speaking and listening, and reading tasks thought out and a general idea of what I want the children to have achieved when we finished the unit. The first two lessons are pretty much sorted - I just have to transfer the plan onto the proper uni format and make the resources. 13 more to go! [Plus all the other subjects lol.] :D

The situation has been made slightly complicated. I have just years 3 and 4 for four of the five weekly lessons. However, on a Tuesday, I also have some year 2 pupils. Whilst observing, the teacher used to set them something unrelated to do, but I don't think I should. So, I am having to ensure my year 2 pupils can engage fully with the topic, despite only attending three sessions out of fifteen. The folk stories come into this, as we can work on them in one lesson, all starting from the same point. Obviously, I want the year 3/4s to see patterns and links and gain an idea of setting and culture, but that doesn't detract from the work we can do with the year 2s. It might look a little random - to have a novel interjected with folk stories - but I am hoping it will work and that it will enhance the topic, rather than detract from it. :)

We'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment