Saturday 12 May 2012

Final Placement: Week Four

So, I am now officially half way through my placement. They always say the latter half goes much quicker than the first, so that can only be a positive! :D I've been at my placement school now for six weeks, four of which have been teaching 80%. Another four weeks teaching 80% to go and then two weeks of enhancement - still keeping my fingers crossed that my STCC lets me go into class one [EYFS] for those weeks. :)

The mid-way point also brought the interim report. I am very, very happy with mine. I got a good. My teacher suggested that there was room to move up to outstanding by the end of the placement but I don't think that myself lol. I am happy with a good. Good is, well, good. :D

This week felt very routine. I managed to shave 15 minutes off my Big Write marking time, which is great. And I was even praised by my STCC - never thought I would see the day lol. The children have engaged quite well with our topics this week - they especially liked examining two samples of soil [random, but they loved it], sitting around a puja tray and being able to handle the different objects on it whilst we learnt about Hindu worship, updating our chart of plant observations [for our plants experiment], using an angle-eater to hunt for right-angles and writing playscripts to go on the wall. :)

Regarding the plants, we have four lots. Three that are involved in our light experiment and one lot of 30 that are for the children. They planted their own and they each have their name on a pot. These are doing very well and we think that we might replant them outside in the vegetable patch this coming week. That would be a lovely activity, although I am not quite sure when I can fit that in lol. Anyway, we have put stakes in them for the time being, as we were ending up with something of a jungle on the windowsill. I wasn't keen on the plants topic [or the rocks/soils topic, to be fair] when I started, but part of me loves having a classroom with lots of plants in it. Plus, we planted them on our first day back after Easter - watching them grow almost feels symbolic of my own development. I think I have grown in confidence and there are a lot of things I am doing now, as a matter of routine, that perhaps I didn't think I could. There is no question about it - this placement has been 100 times better than my first. :D


[Cupboard]  
[Corner]      
[Windowsill] 

No comments:

Post a Comment