Monday 7 November 2011

First Day On Placement

Despite a 2am fire alarm - the result of someone getting distracted by WoW when cooking eggs! - to disrupt my sleep, today has been a great day.

My placement school is lovely! The teachers are really friendly and the headteacher has already reassured us that we needn't worry about things like making it in for 8.30am if the weather is awful [quite possible around here, so I'm told].

The school is tiny. Some 78 pupils enrolled at the moment. There are three classrooms, a hall with incorporated ICT area and a cupboard in place of the staffroom. It is thoroughly charming, although the building is very cold due to the wooden walls. I've also discovered that I'll have to rethink my previous types of lesson plans in a big way, as there is no carpet area/room for that sort of thing, nor does the school have interactive whiteboards [something to do with asbestos in the walls preventing them from installing them]. Nevertheless, I have had a really wonderful day. :D

When I come home from my 9am till 5pm Mondays at university (which invariably include over 4 hours of science, an hour on core issues [like safeguarding] and then two hours on things like PE, art, music or DT), I can't face doing anything. Today, I got home at around 4pm and I worked until 7pm on PGCE stuff! I can barely believe it of myself lol. One of the activities I completed was to help with the school pantomime though. I wasn't asked, and there is no guarantee that they will use what I've made, but I spent an hour on it nevertheless. They had the music for one of the songs, but not the words - which they like to put up on a digital projector. So, now they have the full song, with the words perfectly matched [because I am OCD like that] and some animations for the instrumental bits. I hope they like it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment