Tuesday 22 November 2011

Teaching Practice

My first lesson was a little difficult, as getting the children's respect was quite hard. I also lost all sense of time [there was no clock in the room and I didn't stop for a second to check my watch] and ended up failing to do a plenary. My third lesson was better structured, with a greater sense of pace and far more engagement by the children. I even managed to do my plenary, however the main activity I had created for my year 4s was a little too hard. An extra three questions on the classification table, leading to another three food items, confused them, so that was a bit of a disaster.

However, my second lesson was pretty darn good! :D
We looked at adjectives and characterisation within the Jolly Postman. The children seemed really engaged and each created some fantastic Venn diagrams, compairing two characters, which they used to write comparative sentences. The plenary 'guess who' game also seemed to go down well, as the children had to work out which characters I was describing from a completed Venn diagram I put up on the board. Despite the need to quickly replan the lesson, due to the unexpected absence of ICT, it went really well and the children seemed engaged. :)

I just need to make sure the 40 lessons I am teaching on my next placement, with that class, are like the literacy lesson and not my less successful maths and science attempts lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment