Friday 2 March 2012

Alternative Focus Visit: EYFS

Today, I went to a pretty big school [400 pupils] for a visit to their EYFS classes [or reception classes]. It was amazing! :D

Most of my experience, pre-pgce, was in reception and year 1. So, I've always known that it is "my area" of preference. However, so far, my placements have been in 2/3/4 [and that is set to continue - although I have requested EYFS for my 'enhancement weeks' at the end of the course]. Getting back into an EYFS classroom really was fantastic; I had such a lovely time and the children were amazing. :)

I worked with four groups, over the course of the morning. Completing guided reading activities [focusing on language comprehension/story telling, as the books were picture books] and shape/space maths activities. I also observed and talked to some pupils as they completed various independent activities. It was wonderful to see the children take such a sense of responsibility for themselves - they were able to use scissors, clean up after themselves, solve disputes, create learning opportunities etc. The teacher, in turn, was able to focus on her group of children without worrying too much about the rest of the children. Given the row of ducklings [as our university tutor calls them] who used to follow me around in my 2/3/4 placement, it was very refreshing. :)

So, my thoughts now - if I am going to apply for teaching jobs, I definitely want EYFS or KS1. There is nothing wrong with KS2 - nothing at all - but I just think the former are better for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment