Sunday 23 October 2011

Nicholas Allan

During one of my maths workshops, the tutor read Father Christmas Needs A Wee to us all. It is a rather humous story by Nicholas Allan, whereby Father Christmas eats and drinks far too much on his journey to drop off the presents and subsequently ends up desperate for the toilet. She said her class adore the book and she seemed rather keen herself lol.
I had a look on Amazon and Nicholas Allan has done so many books! I feel rather bad for not having heard of him before. They are all a little... risque, I think it would be fair to say. For example, Cinderella's Bum and Where Willy Went. This made me ponder... I mean, the content of the Christmas book is pretty good - lots of counting up and down, and repetition. But, I am not sure I would feel all that comfortable using one of these books in class. I suppose it would depend on the school and the children. I can imagine some of them would go down very badly if the school were quite conservative lol. Understandly so.
I guess the positive thing I am thinking is that I've discovered something new and something rather humous, even if they do create a dilemma over whether I would actually use them. I suppose the case for Father Christmas Needs A Wee is solved for this year - I am going into a year 3/4 class, so the counting style of the book is not really suitable. Still, an interesting idea, and one that gave us all a chuckle in our workshop. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment