Monday 3 October 2011

Our First Art Lesson

Today, we had a two hour art session. Falling after four hours of science and an hour of 'core issues and skills', I didn't hold out much hope of enjoying. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised. In groups of five, we were to work on a town, or part of a town, with some very simple restrictions. We had to include 12 little paper houses, using the nets provided, and to incorporate a road and cycle path to enter and exit the site at predetermined points. Those were our only limitations. Around the room, there were a range of materials, paints and felt tips to use. The sections of card were of varying sizes, and ours at first seemed quite large. However, it took some time to position the houses and roads and our little extras - a park with a pond and benches, a telephone box and a postbox. To accompany the physical, 3D model, we had to draw a scale drawing. Interestingly, two of us moved onto the scale drawing once a basic layout was set, whilst others immediately opted to do the more creative things. I did get involved in the creative side, but the scale drawing ended up being my baby lol. The end result, whilst maybe seeming a little amateurish, was rather groovy. I especially liked it when the tutor fitted all the sections together and showed us how the roads and cycle paths flowed across all of our maps. It looks so colourful. Plus, it was something practical too - as he told us ways of using it in the classroom as a cross-curricular topic. :D


1 comment:

  1. love the art activity! I'm a flexi (distance) course and must admit not working in groups is a downside, but google and twitter mean I can still share!
    I have a few art ideas on my (neglected)blog: http://katharines-creations.blogspot.com/
    I hope to add some others when I have time (haha)

    ReplyDelete